Wanderer - May 2015

Commodore's Report

Juniors, Taj and Charlie, steal our hearts on Anzac Day
Juniors, Taj and Charlie, steal our hearts
on Anzac Day

Hello everyone,

The last of the Summer Series races was held last Sunday and the weather on the day reminded us that Winter is coming! The Ancient Mariners racing is under way but the conditions have been much kinder! Weekend racing will also continue over the winter months with the Winter series to commence in June (stay tuned for full details). This short hiatus from weekend sailing will allow our volunteers to recuperate and indeed allow all sailors to rekindle their enthusiasm and energies! We should never forget how very blessed we are by the number and dedication of all of our volunteers - (something that other clubs see with considerable awe and envy).

It will only be a short time before we will be past the shortest day and can start looking forward to the upcoming 2015/16 season of racing! With this in mind there will be a 'sailors meeting' to be held straight after the AGM as an opportunity to brainstorm and provide feedback to the incoming sailing captain and sailing committee for consideration in the planning of the 2015/2016 sailing season.

And now here are some details of the two major club events I mentioned in my last report.

The first is our annual night of Celebration of 'the year that was' to be held on Saturday 23rd May. This event will be an opportunity to recognise and celebrate the many events held by the club over the season and the efforts of the members that make them happen. It will also incorporate the presentation of trophies for racing; 'Mable Syrup' will provide musical entertainment (plenty of dancing to be had), and with nibbles to be offered upon arrival and a subsidized two-course meal to follow, I know it will be a terrific night. So...put it in your diary, prepare to frock-up, get into the swing and let's make this (as it should be) one of the absolute social highlights of the season at GLYC. Bookings are now available and, with a limited number of places, you will need to get in early! (See details elsewhere in this edition of Wanderer).

The second event is our AGM to be held on Saturday 20th June. This is a very important aspect of the club's governance and organisational arrangements, so please start thinking about this and consider putting your hand up for a (formal) role within the club. Indications from existing Committee of Management members are as follows:

> As this is my second year as Commodore, I will be moving into the role of 'Immediate Past Commodore". We will therefore be seeking nominations for the position of Commodore.
> Vice Commodore Lyn will not be standing but wishes to continue to assist with Juniors and Discover Sailing. Lyn may consider standing as an 'Ordinary Committee' Representative, however, this means we will also be calling for nominations for Vice Commodore.
> Rear Commodore James will re-nominate and, as has been the case this year, will be happy to incorporate the role of Sailing Captain into his duties as Rear Commodore
> Andrew Thistlethwaite will re-nominate as Sailibility Officer
> After 5 years in the role Secretary, Russ is starting to think about whether he will re-stand or not.
> Treasurer Jenny is currently away tending to personal, family business
> Committee members Christie Arras, Dave Bacon and Sharna Baskett will be re-nominating for Committee
> Committee member Andrew Sommerville is currently considering his options as to which role he will nominate for
> Committee member Lou Hill will be continuing with his magistrate duties which keep him out of Paynesville for extended periods and will therefore not be re-nominating

Printed copies of the Nomination and Proxy vote forms will be available at the club later this week and are also attached (below) to this edition of Wanderer.

Well, that's it from me for this month. So...until I speak to you next, may you continue to have calm seas and fair winds from aft of the beam.


Updated: 8 May 2015 2:22pm by David Parish

5156 7223

In this issue:

Sailing Calendar

Charlie and Taj raise the spinnaker on Inside Job, a 125, for the first ever time in the Four Winds Trophy race
Charlie and Taj raise the spinnaker on
Inside Job, a 125, for the first ever time
in the Four Winds Trophy race

Watch this space. The powers at be are working diligently on the schedule for the Winter Series racing. This month creaky bones are resting up after a wonderful sailing season. Boats are going on hardstands for maintenance; rescue crews are resting. June's Wanderer will tell all.

Updated: 8 May 2015 6:18am by James Frecheville

5156 6352

Sailing/Social Calendar

Success!  Spinnaker went up without a hiccup as they planed down the channel.
Success! Spinnaker went up without a
hiccup as they planed down the channel.

Club night up in the bar. Come and have a barbie or bring take out and enjoy your evening at the club. 'Soup's On' begins on Friday, 5 June. Best in town and a fun night.

Tuesday afternoon Ancient Mariners
Daylight savings has pre-empted the Twilight sail and dinners in favour of the 1:00 Ancient Mariners stern chaser, of sorts.

Celebration Night, 6:30, Sat. 23 May
Celebration night last year was truly awesome. Interspersed were trophies, but they didn't get in the way of all the fun. There was a great meal and wonderful music, and a spectacular venue. If you're a snowbird, just wait till after this night; it would be a shame to miss it! This year's Celebration looks like a winner. See you there.

More details: $25 adults/$15 juniors (separate meal). Two course meal catered by Jacqui O'Connell as well as hors d'oeuvres (thank you Suzanne and Lyn). Dancing with Mable Syrup and the Thistlethwaites. Tickets available over the bar on Tuesday Ancient Mariners and Friday Club nights; RSVP and payment no later than Tuesday, 18 May 2015. Please let people know if you require a vegetarian or gluten free meal when you buy your ticket.

5156 6448

Annual General Meeting, Saturday, 20 June. Sailing meeting afterwards

Soup's soon on
Time to start thinking about which soup you'd like to prepare for Friday club night starting in June. This awesome soup night brings such warmth, cheer, bonhomie and full bellies. And it's pretty simple to prepare...your favorite soup and maybe something vegetarian as well. We all look forward to the finale - the Commodore's famous boullabaise. Join in the fun. Let Denise Lamble know what date is good for you...5152 3191.

Updated: 8 May 2015 3:34pm by Christie Arras

Taking the Bite with Slinky Malinky

Four hours work scrubbing the decks was a small price to pay upon finding Slinky Malinky sitting quietly on her outer mooring having been neglected for over six months. What a mess. The motor started up on second crank and we pushed our weed covered hull into the seawall landing where the flying fifteens are launched from Esperance Bay Yacht Club. Here we would reside for a few days while some repairs effected, reprovisioning completed and the standing rigging replaced. It was a no brainer. The rig was 14 years old and I did not want to concern myself with a possible rig failure in the Great Australian Bight so we just did it. And I am glad we did.

Esperance is just one of those wonderful places that you stumble upon. My brother David and an old school mate Rob were made most welcome by members of EBYC. We went sailing with the cruiser fleet around the cans in a brisk easterly where racing was intense and no quarter given. Post race stuff was like at any YC and we partied on well into the night leaving a subdued crew the following morning for a planned departure eastbound through the islands of the Recerche Archipelago, a cluster of one thousand islands and rocks in a 200 mile stretch of what is mostly unsurveyed waters. It is certainly not a place to sail through at night and we were again reminded just how good it was that there was a sea running so we could see the hazards to navigation.

We departed Esperance with steady NE winds which, once we got around Cape Le Grand, headed us for a solid beat up the coast to the favoured anchorages of Lucky Bay, Hammerhead and Duke of Orleans. The offshore winds ensured that the nights were comfortable at anchor. The fishing was good as were the walks ashore. We saw no one but the occasional 4WD on the beaches. It must be a WA boy thing but why would anyone want to drive a perfectly good motor car along a beach?

At every anchorage we would climb the nearest hill with our phones and laptop in anticipation of a connection and thus the weather forecast. Cape Arid, 90 miles east of Esperance is a pretty desolate place, so aptly named by Flinders, but our spot in a little bay for the night was delightful. Next morning we motorsailed over to Middle Island where we would plan our passage across the GAB. We circumnavigated the island exploring little coves as the weather was benign and the fishing good.

My plan for the GAB had always been to leave on the back of a front. One was coming and it promised to be all we wanted, perhaps more than we wanted but here in the Southern Ocean you have to take what you are given. Or don't go at all.

Daw Island lies around Cape Arid and about 45 miles from Middle Island. It is in uncharted waters but a Google map and a mudmap confirmed an anchorage secure from the SW. After climbing a hill on Goose Island near Middle Island to get a weather update we elected to make a run for Daw Island. I thought we would get there before the forecast front arrived. We did, almost, after a beautiful kite ride for the first thirty miles in rising winds.

Our entrance into the lee of the two little wave-break islands protecting the anchorage was exciting with triple reefed main and a few rolls in the jib. There we lay out 50m of chain in a depth of 4m and sat out the blow. We weren't going anywhere and so dined on freshly caught Bluefin washed down with a fine shiraz.

5156 0432

Next morning the glass was low and the winds and seas up. It still looked angry so we waited. We knew the biggest hurdle was to make the decision to go as once out there it was only going to ease........eventually. So we left and settled down to the serious business of an ocean crossing.

I had hoped we would be at sea for four nights and at worse five and after the first twentyfour hours we were well on track with a 160 mile day under triple reef and in squally and wet conditions. The autopilot could not cope so we had to steer. It was tiring, but it did ease off as forecast and we then really settled into the routine of sleeping, eating and standing a watch, of sorts. When the winds softened we motorsailed if only to ease the slamming and to maintain a reasonable speed. Most of the passage after the first day was on the nose or at best with sheets sprung, but although it was noisy with waves slamming the hull we made good time.

Then about 150 miles out from SA our outboard, which had been running like a swiss watch, made some strange noises. I shut it down and decided to have a look in daylight. The sight of emulsified oil suppurating from the oil breather was not a pretty sight, nor was the fact that the dawn was heralding an oily calm. There was little else to do but sit and wait and wait and wait.

Occasionally we would be teased with a zephyr for an hour before sitting again for 6. Our course from Daw Island had been basically East 090 ish and as we crawled towards the SA coastline the winds backed from the S to the SE and we dutifully followed. We were not going to make Port Lincoln but Elliston was a possibility, one that was dismissed as the winds played games with us and we drifted north.

Streaky Bay started to look promising, especially as it has a secure anchorage for a blow while we sorted the outboard motor. At one stage we were closer to Ceduna than to Streaky Bay but I was reluctant to give up more southing. The last 60 miles took us 36 hours and that was truly painful, but as we made landfall a 5knot southerly allowed us to hoist the kite and tight reach east. This was just so good and memory of our becalmed periods all but forgotten. The seas got softer and the skies cleared and the champagne sailing a treat. We dropped the kite for the final 6 mile beat up through Blanche Port to the picture postcard township of Streaky Bay where we anchored just 100m off the beach in front of the pub. It was a very satisfying moment to reflect that we really had sailed across the GAB in a 28' catamaran.

A shower, some Coopers Pale Ale and some oysters were on the agenda. Easy fix. Not so the outboard. But that is another story.

A pleasant day. Paddling a dragon boat this morning and then coffees with the crew at the cafe overlooking the boat at anchor. A 16km return cycle ride out to the back beach for a swim in the ocean and then a local footy match. Dinner on board as I can't afford to eat out every night! It also allowed me time to bash out a few words for Wanderer.

Hopefully a new motor mid next week. There are worse places to be stuck than here.


Updated: 8 May 2015 5:56am by James Frecheville

Division 1

A good blow for the only day of Barnsey's Last Chance racing.
A good blow for the only day of Barnsey's
Last Chance racing.

The highlight of the April racing calendar was the Easter Regatta. The only boat in division one to sail in the 30 Nautical Mile race was Bill Shand and David Parish who placed first. Bill and David were a bit weary after the long sail, but nonetheless managed to sail very well on the following day which was the Around Raymond Island Race. Bill stay out front of the other Flying Fifteens around the island to place 3rd on handicap. Jim Callahan and Fred Steinkeliner traded places with Bill and David but fell back on the south side of the island. Close behind were Michael Clark and Rod Gardiner in a close battle. On handicap Bill was 3rd, Jim 9th, Rod 6th and Michael on 8th.

The following weekend was the Four Winds race and we saw a good turnout of division 1 boats with the handicap results as follows: 1st Rod and Wendy, well done; 2nd Michael; 3rd Craig; 4th Brian; 5th A. Zach in the Taser; 6th John and 7th Bill. A great day was had by all.

Barnsey's Last Chance and re-sail didn't happen because of the terrible weather. On that Sunday, the 19th of April, only Bill and Craig showed up and it was agreed that the rain and windy conditions and a two boat fleet didn't appeal, so the race was cancelled.

5156 0582

15s round mark near Steamer in Four Winds
15s round mark near Steamer in Four Winds

The following Sunday, two back to back races were held as part of the Barnsey's Last Chance and Divisional re-sail. The wind was enjoying herself challenging the fleet. In the first start, Bill and David were waylaid by a temporary gear failure and never could recoup. Brian with Johnno sailed a great race leading the pack. Nitro with Mark and Mitch was indefatigable with a number of capsizes and ended up not properly finishing and choosing not to sail the second race.

Unfortunately, in the second race, Johnno, who was crewing for Brian, met with an unfriendly knock from the vang hardware and along with some gear failure, limped home. Bill and David sailed with abandon winning first for the series.

We had a great sailing season and we look forward to next year. Hopefully, we will have some good sailing conditions for the winter series.


Updated: 8 May 2015 6:23am by Christie Arras

5156 7085

Division 2

Going through the channel to Steamer in Four Winds
Going through the channel to Steamer in
Four Winds

Guess that all good things come to an end; we seem to have had an extreme dose of weather this year...glass outs to fresh to frightening, and not much in between.

Easter weather was kind to all; the regatta went off well with, I think, around 40 plus yachts going around the Island. Quite a sight in the straights and very good behavior by all skippers. The Monday Lake Victoria triangle was not so well supported; however, the wind finally arrived and made a day of it. For the series the first Trailable was Pipalini taking 3rd with Kalimna 16th in second trailable place.

The Last Chance Regatta was not sailed on Sunday 19th due a distinct lack of starters; even the brave and stupid decided sleet and strong wind was enough. The 26th was sailed despite some muttering about wind strength. This was the second heat of the Last Chance and a re-sail of the missing Divisional. This gets quite complicated as both have a Personal handicap element, however, as I understand it, the Personal for the Last Chance varies from the resail of the Divisional so the result for one race varies when transposed into another race category. We were fortunate to pick up a crew man for the races (two back/back). Taj jumped aboard and, it must be said, it was a pleasure to have a well mannered young man with us. He confided in Lesley and me that he would rather go sailing than go to school. Another commendable attribute, very rare amongst crew, was that he helped us pack up the boat!!

I was proposing to comment on the Ancient Mariners, however, I have been blown away by a wordsmith of some repute and I will defer to the section in this Wanderer dedicated to this AM pursuit.

Well, folks, looks like my ferry coming


Updated: 7 May 2015 11:37pm by Christie Arras

5156 6700

Division 4

Lake Boga Easter Regatta

Doesn't take much muscle to lift a Mossie platform
Doesn't take much muscle to lift a Mossie

There was an awesome turn out of boats, over 100 in all including GLYC's Gary and Peter. The Mossies were well represented. Seven with spinnakers (giving them their own division) on the windward and return course starting 5 minutes behind F16s and same time as A's, Taipans and F18. Four cat rig and four sloop rigged on the triangle course, putting them in a mixed division of over 20 cats.

It was warm and mostly light for the weekend. The Mossies with spinnakers had a lot of fun, beating many of the Vipers, A's and Taipans around the course. Matt and I swapped spots heaps, with Gordon getting an early birthday present, taking out one race.

Sunday afternoon was easiest to remember - there was some wind! Trapezing at last, so sick of sitting on my feet, still very gusty, though. I did everything wrong first race, in irons going backwards at start, last off the line, capsized avoiding Mark on Starboard on second down wind, then fluked an amazing beat to catch Matt and pass him on final downwind. Second race I couldn't do a thing wrong, just blitzed it from start to finish, even passing an A at the finish whilst on trap with the spin up.

In all my years of sailing I have had trouble with flow on foils from all sorts of things like weed, plastic bags, jellyfish, bits of wood and other rubbish but never fish! We waited 2 days for wind and then when we got some wind, the fish slowed me down! But at least they didn't break my rudder lock down and make me miss races, as happened to Peter. Gary M

Sauna Sail

The Sauna Sail is back this year. This is a great mid-winter regatta for off-the-beach classes and, with camping right there at the club house, it is always a good social event as well.
Contact Bruce James on 0427 559 499 or go to www.lvyc.org.au for information.

Updated: 7 May 2015 5:42pm by Gary Maskiell

Division Cool - Junior sailing

Ancient mariners...get a look at this form
Ancient mariners...get a look at this form

As GLYC's junior sailing program is coming to a conclusion, thought it timely to highlight some key achievements for the season: 80% increase in participation, 60 plus kids involved with some form of junior sailing at GLYC, successful school holiday programs run via Tackers and representation by a number of our juniors at regional, schools and state regattas, as well as at our own Divisional and Twilight Racing. In short...lots more kids out sailing on our waters!!!

I'm sure more thank-yous will be said at presentation night, but I would especially like to recognise the following people for being integral to the success of this year: James Frecheville (Head Instructor), Russell Broomhall (Division Cool Instructor), Lyn Wallace (Discover Sailing Principal), our sailing school instructors, our rescue boat operators (with a special shout out to Damien Shell, Steve Duff and Neil Zizman for their regular weekend efforts), and our behind the scenes people who make sure food and drinks are available for the kids (in particular Bek Zizman, Annette Hall and Aaron Manuell)

We will have a junior table at presentation night, so looking forward to celebrating a great season with you all then. Planning is also currently underway for a winter program, as well as the 2015-16 junior sailing season. So stay tuned!



Updated: 8 May 2015 6:25am by Christie Arras

Ancient Mariners Update

What!?  Dismasted or...
What!? Dismasted or...

The first therapy session for the pathetically pedantic Paynesville pensioner pirates was scheduled for Tuesday April 14th. However, the persistent drizzle, glassy lake and chilly conditions were enough for the group to procrastinate long enough for the event to be abandoned due to lack of fortitude or wisdom if you prefer. The bright side however, is that Ancient Mariners foresight was vindicated, as the glassy conditions (minus the drizzle) remained and the group was saved considerable frustration.

Tuesday April 21st was another doubtful day but eleven boats took to the water. The clouds cleared very quickly and blue sky and 10 knots of breeze made for perfect conditions. Colin and Marika were JUST having FUN and led your scribe across the finish line. He commented that "It's Alright to come second." Next followed Kate, Wasa, Growler, OBL, Caprice, George McLeod making his annual outing in his Buete Ute, Highly Strung, Swift with Commodore David and Sue (I think their maiden AM outing) and Ex T Sea.

Tuesday 28th was chilly at noon but lovely by first take off at 1pm. 3:15 cut off time saw Meander in front of Just For Fun having covered only GLYC to Mick's Spit, Point Turner and nearing Mick's Spit again. Then followed (as best as we could judge) Kate, OBL, Scorpio, Caprice, Wasa, Highly Strung, Growler or It's Alright, Latitude, Southerly and Wirrijama. Meander, the front runner, was skippered by a youngster with his wife and three kids who are on an extended cruising holiday. The pleasantly convivial after race gathering was enjoyed by all our regular geriatrics and visitors alike.

Come and join us next week May 5th.
BS and BYO lunch at 12 with around 1pm first departure.


Updated: 8 May 2015 6:44am by Christie Arras

03 8626 8700

Hall Hire protocol and update

Hall Hire at GLYC, Successes and Changes

Pretty as a picture.  Homeward bound in the Four Winds.
Pretty as a picture. Homeward bound in
the Four Winds.

While under Ian Spottiswood's custody, Hall Hire has become a significant revenue earner for the Club. It has allowed us to improve our facilities for our own use, i.e. the new audio visual equipment, new cutlery and new crockery. Our Hall is becoming a popular venue for local weddings and major functions, and why wouldn't it?

The rules regarding use of the hall by members have been amended as follows:
> Free hall hire is available to members who are considered by the Committee to have been active members for at least 2 years, although individual circumstances will be taken into consideration.
> Use of the fantastic new audio visual system is available to everyone, but only when we are confident that it will be used properly and without risk of damage (i.e. only allowed with committee approval).

The Hall hire agreement has been updated and some changes have been made to the hall hire fees. A copy of the updated agreement is available on the website. A new charge has been added for hall hire for set up days for events such as weddings, and fees for use of the a/v system have been set.

Members are reminded that hiring out the hall provides significant income for the club. While there are times when use of the hall for events such as weddings, etc., may cause some inconvenience to members, the income from hire plus associated bar sales helps to keep membership fees down. Your cooperation in making hirers welcome at the Club will help keep the revenue flowing. Of course it is obvious (hopefully) that Club events and functions will always have precedence over external bookings.

Updated: 8 May 2015 6:27am by Christie Arras

Tales of the Whale and the Bird

Mexico to the Marquesas. 30/04/15

Though only 4 boats stayed the night, a crowd came for the day for the Steamer Landing cruise.
Though only 4 boats stayed the night, a
crowd came for the day for the Steamer
Landing cruise.

We are not far from reaching the Marquesas with 150nm to go; behind us is 2500 nm of ocean. Such a vast expanse of water, it's hard to comprehend how far we have travelled since the 5th of April 2015. Our chart of the Pacific Ocean has regular crosses highlighted in yellow of our position for roughly each 24 hrs. I think it will be framed when we get home. The first position noted was at 20'15N 106'29W and 25 days later the position noted is 06'47S 137'24W.

The journey has been full of ups and downs for both of us and a mixture of weather and sea conditions. It certainly was not a text book crossing with regards to the trade winds. We did pick up the northerly trade winds early in the trip which gave us breeze aft and 6-8ft rolling sea; this resulted in a very uncomfortable ride. Early on it seemed we were changing the sail plan constantly which was tiring. We were learning how to sail Whale and the Bird in open sea conditions which were very different to the Sea of Cortez. We quickly worked out that one third main with full Genoa and, if light wind, added the stay sail worked best for speed and stability. The windvane worked very well in these conditions, although not in light weather, and saved our battery power as we did not need to use the auto helm. Whale and the Bird sails beautifully; it flies on a close reach. Currently we are doing 7knts in 12knts of breeze on a beam reach.

In no time we were in the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone(ITCZ or doldrums); this is a place where you throw out all your pre-experiences of weather patterns and sail by the seat of your pants from minute to minute. The ITCZ is like a bubble that sucks you in. Inside you see all around individual small micro climates that form constantly and move in all directions. These squalls begin on the horizon as high billowing brilliant white clouds tightly packed that push upwards; then below a grey band forms horizontally to the sea. It gets darker by the minute and a straight edge forms on one side and then a rain shadow can be seen. It's pot luck from then onwards as to what will happen next. We had no wind and torrential rain or rain and gusts of 25-30knts or rain and a good steady breeze or we were becalmed. These squalls were, thankfully, short lived until the next one formed. My lasting impression is looking back at the ITCZ and seeing a line of white billowing clouds and feeling very relieved.

We celebrated crossing the equator with champagne and Pinguinos (delicious Mexican choc cakes with gooey white fudge in the middle). Thank you Tom from SV 'Marbella' for introducing us to them. We dressed up, Pete in a Hawaiian Shirt and me in a short frock with both of us wearing Kermit green rimmed sunglasses. It was a welcome relief as we were exhausted, each with a fair share of bruises and aching bones. The night watches of 3 hours are not fun; we soon learnt to sleep during the day. The Sweet Treat box helped at night with the blocks of chocolate I carried for months around Mexico a winner. My 400 Australian tea bags are now down to 20; it will end in tears if I cannot get more soon! Also, each night we joined a Pacific Puddle Jump Radio Net, where each boat detailed their position and weather conditions; its nice to have the sense we not out here on our own.

Once across the equator we expected that the Southerly trade winds would kick in. Instead we had 2 more days of squalls; the ITCZ was not letting us go that easily. Then roughly at 3'S we had a good steady breeze kick in on the beam and we were high tailing it for the Marquesas. Since then the southerly breeze has been mixed in strength with ENE and at times a following sea. We have certainly learnt to adjust to a life of constant changes.

Pete has read 6 books and worked on his 'feral' unshaven look all the while working very hard above deck keeping the boat moving and 'fixing' anything he can find. I have concocted many gourmet meals which have become more 'bizzare' as the fresh food was depleted and the canned and prepackaged food took over. Although...I have photos of delicious Pacific Puddle Jump dishes: pancakes with fresh fruit, meat pie, pizza and cheese cake with jelly. I don't like canned tuna so those dishes were disastrous. My attempts at trawling a line were mixed: a total of 3 fish which were all tuna! and one sea bird, which unfortunately drowned after diving and taking my lure (not nice for the bird nor for me).

The other half of the formal portrait taken on Morrison's Francesca.
The other half of the formal portrait
taken on Morrison's Francesca.

Early in the trip we were surrounded by 60+ small whales and small pods of Dolphins. And then there was Pete's battle with the hitchhikers. It started with one 'boobie bird' species hitching a lift overnight on the dinghy davits; then it gradually grew to nine. How they could find us after disappearing all day was a mystery. We deterred them with the boat hook for hours and days; they would fly off, land in the ocean and have a meeting, then zero in again. Our cry was 'incoming'. They then migrated to the bow rail which soon became a smelly pile of bird poo! Pete lined the rails with Orange swim foam noodles thinking it would be too wide for their webbed feet. They were uncomfortable and looked unsure but hung on. When that didn't work Pete put plastic toothpicks and wire in the foam sticking outwards; they loved the foot massage and came back. In the end we cleaned up the poo each day and eventually we out ran them!

31/04/215 we arrived in Nuka Hiva Marquesas in the middle of a squall on dusk. All day we worked hard to keep our average speed around 6-7 knts to make landfall before dark. By late afternoon spectacular dark green craggy mountains were on our starboard as we ran parallel to the shore line of Nuka Hiva. We entered the wide bay of Taiohae which is surrounded by craggy peaks. Over 44 boats were anchored and as we tried to find a spot the torrential rain started. Pete on the bow was soaked in seconds and I made the decision to head away from the anchorage until we could see!

This is our third day in the Marquesas; it's breathtaking in its grandeur and pre-historic feel. The locals speak French and drive Toyota 4 wheel drives very fast! We had very wobbly legs the first time we tried to walk after 26 days on a rolling boat; we must have looked drunk! Sleeping and fresh food have been high on our agenda. Bananas taste amazing. We now plan to do lots of walking, hire a car to explore Nuka Hiva Oh......and boat maintenance.

Today we were visited by the biggest stingrays-manna(?) I have ever seen. They were at least 6 ft across, dark/blue black with mouths open the size of a large dinner plate; they swam silently around us. Standing at the bow looking down on them was breathtaking; what an amazing world!

All in all, we had a safe journey across the Pacific with a few spectacular bruises. The only breakages were all (bar two bowls) of Arcopal crockery when I left a galley door open, a spectacular mess to clean up. Correction! Pete today found a broken split pin at the base of the mast; it came from the gooseneck swivel pin for the boom. What had kept in place was the locking pin for the in-mast furler positioned just below it: a good safety system or just plain good luck! Needless to say, it's fixed and a close inspection will be done of all split pins.

We had one 'close encounter' with a cargo ship early one morning which appeared to change course towards us; we think they came for a look at this solitary sailing vessel with reefed sails in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Whale and the Bird has proven to be a safe reliable boat which loves to 'sail'; we have learnt quickly her likes and dislikes. Pete mastered the windvane and it was invaluable for saving battery power. And I very slowly and carefully have learnt to make sail changes on my watch. Everything is so much bigger than Chibizulu (our yacht back home)!

Pete and I would like to say how grateful and fortunate we feel to have met the following people while travelling in USA and Mexico. Don & Brisa, Taree, Dot & John, Bernard & Ruth, Bill & Linda, Fredrick & Janet, Tom & Bobbie, Dan & Debo, Tom, Carrie & Bunyip(blue heeler)Tom & Britta, Dick & Anne. Thank you. Also to our family and friends your messages and keeping us in your daily thoughts has helped keep our spirits up!

Cheers Pete and Anne.

Updated: 8 May 2015 2:22pm by Christie Arras

Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club
P.O. Box 194, Paynesville VIC 3880

Club phone03 5156 6864

Flag Officers

CommodoreDavid Parish5156 7523 / 0437 516 666
Vice CommodoreLyn Wallace0414 292 289
Rear CommodoreJames Frecheville5156 7103 / 0412 979 824
Sailing CaptainJames Frecheville 5156 7103 / 0412 979 824


SecretaryRuss Peel5156 6691 / 0408 589 805
TreasurerJenny Brown0403 819 635
Sailability OfficerAndrew Thistlethwaite5156 0141
Immediate Past CommodoreJacqui Loft0468 987 684
Publicity and WandererChristie Arras5156 7861
Club HouseDave Bacon5156 7524
TrophiesLou Hill0418 580 780
BoatsAndrew Somerville5156 1118
Junior CoordinatorSharna Baskett0409 207 331

DeHavillan Vagabond Sailing Dinghy

3.7 m, 110 kg hull weight
Fibre Glass
Needs new footstraps
Comes complete with Jack Holt Sails (jib and mainsail), centre board and tiller.
Is on unregistered trailer in OK condition.

$1000 with trailer (unregistered)
$800 without trailer

Contact: Marc Conte
Phone: 0429967036
Email: mark.conte192@gmail.com

South Coast 25

Salt Peter is a well equipped and fully serviceable yacht on a near new launching trailer in mast up storage at Allawah CP. Asking price is $16,990 (just reduced) ONO.
Never anti-fouled or painted. (Never lived in the water.) Lots of recent upgrades. Ready to go if you have the car capable of launching and retrieving close to 3 tonnes.
Owner needing to sell.
0407339856 cell

Contact: Peter
Phone: 54273221
Email: panday@bigpond.com

1983 Adams 21' Trailable


Contact: Tony Robinson
Phone: 0429898400
Email: tony_robinson51@hotmail.com

Sasha RL24 Mk 1 Drop Keel

Fast and fun!
2 fully battened main sails, 1 jib, 2 spinnakers, speed/depth log/radio, 5 HP Mariner O/B Exc condition, Reco registered tilt trailer

Sasha has a racing pedigree and provided a lot of fun for many years. Light and fast.

$7900 ONO

Contact: Mike Reid
Phone: (03) 57662237

Pacer Dinghy

Everything in very good condition. View in Paynesville.
0427221161 cell

Contact: John Pearson
Phone: 51567013
Email: hilsnjohn@bigpond.com

Puffin Pacer for sale

wooden hull
3 sails, main, jib, spinnaker
ready to sail with some T.L.C.
12 months registered road trailer


Contact: Daryl Brooks
Phone: 0411637572


Hills Triple Swing Set - $20
3.5m (big) Circular Trampoline - $30
6ft x 3ft Pool Table with balls, cues and rest - $80
ATP Deluxe Foldaway Table Tennis table - $50
Scooter with 16" wheels - $40
Pair of Car Service Ramps - $20

Contact: Tim Shepperd
Phone: 0400 666 486
Email: tshepperd@gmail.com