Wanderer - February 2021

Commodore's report

Do we have a busy month coming up or what!?

The Club's sailing program is back in full swing with three days of racing a week until May.

The GLYC is hosting the Eastern Region Regatta on the 13th and 14th of February. This is when all of the Gippsland clubs get together and race in a divisional format to see who can claim to be the best club in the region. On the Saturday, we will be running a warm up sprint series; racing will be from 1400 till 1630 hrs. On Sunday the regatta kicks off at 10:30 with three races. I encourage all of you to turn out and show everyone what a great club we have.

The OTB sailors are starting to travel to regattas again with many of them registered to attend multiple regattas in the coming weeks. I am sure they will all share experiences with us in upcoming Wanderers. For the Division two sailors the Marlay Point race is just around the corner. It is a great way to see the lakes at night in the company of lots of other boats.

The final big event coming up is the delayed 2020 AGM on Saturday, 20 February. This is the meeting that Covid stopped. Everyone has been sent a notice of this meeting and we have included a copy of that notice in this edition of the Wanderer. Closer to the date we will ask all of you to let us know if you would like to attend the meeting in person or virtually. We do have a limit of 70 people in the hall at present so we may have to limit the number of people who attend in person. More details on this to come.

Please take time to read through the AGM notice and remember that there will be another AGM in July for the 2020/2021 season.

Andrew

Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:33am by Christie Arras


In this issue:

Sailing Calendar

Busy windward mark in Twilight 12th of January
Busy windward mark in Twilight 12th of
January

February
02, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing/ Female Helmsperson
04, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
07, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Divisional racing
09, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
11, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
13, Saturday, 1400 hrs: Eastern Region Regatta at GLYC
14, Sunday, 1030 hrs: Eastern Region Regatta

14, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Club Championship race
16, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
18, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
21, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Divisional racing
23, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
25, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
28, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Long distance/trophy race

March
02, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing/ Female Helmsperson
04, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
06/07 Sat/Sun: Marlay Point Over Night Race and Breakfast
09, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
11, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
14, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Club Championship race and Valentines Day
16, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
18, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
21, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Divisional race
23, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing
25, Thursday, 1300 hrs: Ancient Mariners
28, Sunday, 1400 hrs: Long Distance Trophy race
30, Tuesday, 1700 hrs: Twilight Sailing

Updated: 1 Feb 2021 3:06pm by Christie Arras

5156 6448

Notice of Annual General Meeting

Saturday, 20 February. With physical or virtual attendance

Divisions 1 and 3 head out in Sunday's Championship race on the 31st
Divisions 1 and 3 head out in Sunday's
Championship race on the 31st

AGMs are an important part of our Club governance and a statutory obligation each year. In case you haven't been involved before or have forgotten all about the AGM since 2019 (yes, that was the last one!), here are a few notes about what is coming up on Saturday 20th February.

This one will be different as we are trying to cater for members who wish to rub shoulders, members who are wary of indoor gatherings, and distant members. We are therefore planning to run an AGM as a mix of physical and digital, using the projector screen in the main hall. Members will need to advise a week prior to the meeting whether they plan to attend physically or digitally. To best manage the numbers in the hall we ask that only one person per family membership physically attend, and of course that member can hold a proxy for their absent partner should they wish.

Basically, the Committee reports to members on what happened during the previous financial year which ended 30th April 2020. You get to elect the Committee for the next year (half of which has already passed), they go away and do all the work and come back same time next year to tell you how they went! Except in 2021 we will all be back at the 2021 AGM in July this year.

The first item of business of the meeting is to set the membership fees for 2020/21 and the Committee makes a recommendation to be put to members (which is to retain the fees unchanged except for CPI which is automatically applied, and as you would all be aware we have also decided to only charge members 50% of the normal membership fee for the 2020/21 season). Then we set the number of ordinary (general) members on the Committee for the incoming year.

Taking the club record for the fastest sail around the island Mitch Meade on Bob, a foiling A Class Cat, with 40 min and 27 secs
Taking the club record for the fastest
sail around the island Mitch Meade on Bob,
a foiling A Class Cat, with 40 min and 27
secs


Then follows Special Resolutions to be put to the meeting if there are any. Information about any Special Resolutions is sent to members with the formal Notice of Meeting.

The last item of business is the election of the Committee for the coming year (2020/21). Nomination and proxy forms are included with the Notice of Meeting, will be available on the website, and on the bar at the Club.

Formal roles on the Committee include Commodore, Treasurer, Secretary, Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore, Sailing Captain and the important roles of Sailability Coordinator and Discover Sailing Coordinator plus general members of the Committee. From those members we then look for volunteers to take on the roles of House, Boats, MPONR and Publicity/Wanderer. Non-committee members are also needed to put their hands up during the year to help those roles in looking after the Club's facilities and equipment.

Nominations need to be signed by the person proposing that nomination, seconded by another member, and then signed by the person being nominated to confirm that they accept the nomination. Forms should be returned to the Secretary no later than Friday 12th February.

If you are not able to attend the meeting you are welcome to forward apologies to the Secretary at glyc@sailglyc.com, and if you wish to register a vote at the meeting you can complete a proxy form and appoint the Chair or any full member you know who is attending the meeting to vote on your behalf.

Russ Peel
Secretary GLYC

See attached:
  • Nomination and Proxy forms

  • Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:30am by Tim Shepperd

    0427 411 660
    9707 3033

    Now is the time to come to the aid of your... club

    Neil Joiner on Immunity charges around the course in the Divisional race on the 17th
    Neil Joiner on Immunity charges around the
    course in the Divisional race on the 17th

    Please consider giving some time to the GLYC by signing on to be on Committee or to help in one of the non-committee roles that keep our club functioning so well as it does!

    As most of the Committee are committed to staying on until the next AGM which will be sometime this coming July, 2021, this gives you time to think about it and to explore what is required and chat with those on Committee.

    One exception is Wendy's Hall Hire Co-ordinator position which is available now for a volunteer to step up to at this February's AGM.

    If you are unable to be available on the day of the AGM be sure to download the proxy form and appoint someone who will vote for your choices.

    Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:18am by Christie Arras

    5156 6700

    Vice Commodore's Report

    Mick and Di Floyd on Totally, a Mosquito Sloop, have a rip roaring sail on the 17th Jan Divisional race
    Mick and Di Floyd on Totally, a Mosquito
    Sloop, have a rip roaring sail on the 17th
    Jan Divisional race

    A lot has happened over the last month and I will try and bring you up to speed with it all. The Committee has been working on your behalf and the Club is in a good position to finish the season on a high.

    The Waszp Championships - James excelled with his ability to run this event under some trying constraints. The course these sailors wanted was a challenge and something new to our race management crews. Putting it on under the restrictions of our COVIDSafe plan also tested his ability to manage, and finally the high winds and above 40 degree heat on the final day topped it off. Well done James and his merry band of workers.

    Tower Restoration & CCTV - Russ has gained agreement from Council to start a discussion about how we might upgrade/repair the tower and they are considering the concept drawings for the upgrade. This will proceed over our non-sailing period as it will involve closing off the road around the east side of the club.

    While we are mentioning Russ this month, his efforts in gaining permission for the installation of CCTV to cover our entrances and boat parking/berths is commendable. This is a major win as we are still having security issues. There might be some synergies available with an adjoining system (more about that later!) but that is yet to be explored fully. The installation is planned to be a combination of GLYC labour and Contract labour, so if anyone has experience installing CCTV systems please let us know as your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Working Bee - Wendy & Rod put in a great effort to clean the windows and our entrance to the Club to better present GLYC to our Waszp visitors, but there is a lot still to be done. A working bee is in the planning stages and will occur during February but it will be done slightly differently this year as it is not aimed at covering all areas of the Club on the same day but is aiming at reducing numbers on site during the exercise. It will be carried out by small groups on different days (a COVIDSafe working bee).

    Grounds - Jim will be looking for lawn mowers, gardeners, and painters

    Warwick Hall, Jim and Tom Ponting tear through the Straits on Tantrum, a Sonata 8 in LBCrawford
    Warwick Hall, Jim and Tom Ponting tear
    through the Straits on Tantrum, a Sonata 8
    in LBCrawford


    House - Norbert will need volunteers to assist with an inside clean and wall/windows outside.

    Boats & Boatshed - I need to do a general clean-up of the boatshed and support boats, also removal of rubbish which seems to always accumulate.

    MPONR- This is the first year that I have been on the MPONR Committee and I did not realise the work that goes into putting this race on and the number of volunteers involved is massive. Jacqui does a great job managing it and keeping it moving forward. If anyone is interested in assisting with this race please call Jacqui or myself as we are still short of volunteers.

    COVIDSafe - Nothing stays the same with this item and we are now in the position to reduce wearing masks inside the Club. You are required to carry a mask but only have to wear it if you cannot socially distance.

    Support Boats
    - There is always work to be done on the support boats and this month has been no different:
    • Judy G - The race flag board has been replaced, the barging buoy has been repaired and the anchor chain checked and a section removed. (Thanks to James)
    • Aphrodite - Has had an intermittent electrical fault so the system was stripped down and the fault found (Thanks to Dave, Alan and Mark)
    • Kraken - We have at present a slow leak in the front bladder and James has found it and requested a special repair kit as it is not in an easily repairable place. We only received confirmation that the kit has just been sent so it may take another week or so before this boat is fully operational.
    We are hoping all will be good as these boats will be needed as the main support boats for our next big effort - the MPONR

    Launching Jetty - Warning!!
    We are having difficulties at present with congestion on the launching ramp so everyone needs to strictly observe the Yellow line rule and boats are not to be left unattended - if GLYC doesn't obey local rules, then we certainly can't expect anyone to. Ports are policing it and you may receive a fine if you don't adhere to the rules.


    Yellow Line Jetty Rule:
    *Loading Zone, for pickup and drop off of passengers & cargo only;
    *Vessel must be manned at all times.


    Macca

    Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:39am by Christie Arras

    5156 0582

    Wanted - Hall Hire Co-ordinator Volunteer

    Quiet Little Drink charges into the straits in the LBCrawford Round the Island race
    Quiet Little Drink charges into the
    straits in the LBCrawford Round the Island
    race

    Do you live in Paynseville or on Raymond Island? Are you willing to take on a volunteer role that has an important place in Club's operations and finances? Then Hall Hire Co-ordinator is for you!

    I have been doing this role for almost 6 years and it is time for me to take a step back. I am looking to relinquish at the AGM on 20th February.

    The process and requirements are well set up and ready for an easy hand over. I am also willing to assist for a while as you settle in to your role, and on odd occasions if you are away on holiday. You don't have to be on the Committee to do this role, as long as you communicate regularly with the designated Committee member. However, you could also be on the Committee to take this on.

    Please call me on 0498116752 to discuss the role.

    Wendy Gardiner

    Updated: 1 Feb 2021 3:11pm by Tim Shepperd


    MPONR Breakfast announcement

    Ned and Tegwyn on Dastardly Eel	an Rs Feva Xl manage well in the LB Crawford Round the Island race
    Ned and Tegwyn on Dastardly Eel an Rs Feva
    Xl manage well in the LB Crawford Round
    the Island race

    Yes, it's happening! (That is, of course, assuming that COVID does not rear its head again)

    Providing breakfast for the sailors has been a long-standing tradition and a very important function of the MPONR race. This is especially true since GLYC took on management of the race 3 years ago.

    This will be the first opening of the GLYC kitchen in almost a year and will give the Committee an opportunity observe how it goes to determine when and how we open for our regular program.

    Wendy

    Updated: 1 Feb 2021 3:15pm by Christie Arras

    5156 6352

    Volunteers needed for MPONR Breakky

    Ooops.  Members in the club house got a ringside seat to the Coast Guard action after the LBCrawford race
    Ooops. Members in the club house got a
    ringside seat to the Coast Guard action
    after the LBCrawford race

    The word is out: there will be the breakky this year for the MPONR! I am hoping to gather kitchen crew (limited to six people max in the Covid rules) in the three shifts of 6am to 9, 9 to 12, and wrapping up with 12 to 3pm on Sunday the 7th of March.

    Jobs include: cooking eggs, bacon, making toast, baking tomatoes, baked beans, serving meals, taking charge of the till...and dishes.

    OMG We will definitely need multitaskers this year! But, as always, it will work out copacetically.

    The Club will provide kitchen volunteers with PPE face masks and gloves.

    Please give me, Christie, a call at 5156 7861 to let me know if you can help. There will also be a list floating around the bar downstairs to sign up on.

    Thank you so much in anticipation. Maybe by then there will be fewer constraints. Keep our fingers crossed!

    Christie

    Updated: 1 Feb 2021 7:59pm by Christie Arras


    The WASZP Covid Cup Slalom Championships

    The WASZPs look a  bit like the ballerinas tiptoeing across the stage  in Swan Lake
    The WASZPs look a bit like the ballerinas
    tiptoeing across the stage in Swan Lake

    Many of the holiday boating crowd were treated to the spectacle of swarms of WASZPs competing in their Victorian WASZP Slalom Championships out on Lake Victoria over the weekend.

    Hosted and run by the Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club in Paynesville, it was slated to be the WASZP National Championships, but due to the restrictions shutting down travel from most states, the competition ended up being called the Victorian Covid Slalom Championships. Sixteen boats competed with one sailor coming from Tasmania.

    The WASZP is a one design single handed foiling racing sail boat almost four metres long with its wings (trampolines) 2.24 metres wide. They are easy to rig and have two foils which allow the hull to speed about a metre above the water. It is said that if a young sailor first learns to sail on a WASZP they will never move to a traditional sailboat as the thrill and speed are too addictive to forego.

    The slalom course format was new to many of the participants and was suggested by Association President, Jack Felsenthal, who won second place in the European Slalom Championships held at Lake Garda, Italy, in 2019.

    The unusual slalom course ran about a kilometre long where the competitors started upwind of the course and tore down wind through the four buoy slalom course to the finish.

    A start for Division 1 in the Slalom Covid Cup.  Up and hooning
    A start for Division 1 in the Slalom Covid
    Cup. Up and hooning


    The entrants were randomly placed in two Divisions so that only eight boats were on the course at one time. The course was put in Lake Victoria away from the busiest travel routes with the holiday boating crowds in mind.

    Once the wind built up to at least eight knots to enable the boats to foil, eight races for each division were completed on Saturday. On Sunday both divisions completed six races before the wind slowed to make foiling more difficult.

    The fleet charges around the first mark in the Slalom course
    The fleet charges around the first mark in
    the Slalom course

    On Monday, the format was changed to a windward and return course and the racing contributed to the overall score to determine a champion. The 20 knot wind challenged the sailors and the gusts over 25 knots were a bit beyond their comfort zones. Though the heat was massive, most sailors got dunked enough times to keep cool. Racing was abandoned after three races so the little WASZPs headed back to the beach.

    Of note was the one female sailor, Alison Dale, from Sandringham Yacht Club, who sailed on Sting. Her later races were handicapped by a malfunction of one of her foils.

    One sailor had to retire on Monday in the blow as in one faceplant into the water he was propelled through his sail leaving a big hole to end his racing for the day.

    After all the little WASZPs were safely tucked away in their nests, presentations were held in the yacht club. Ben Gunther, from Royal Brighton YC, who sailed on Blitz, did just that and won both the Covid Cup Slalom Championship as well as the Overall Championships.

    Placing second in both as well was Jack Abbott on Ivana Tinkle from Mordialloc Sailing Club. Jack Felsenthal on Charter World from GLYC in Paynesville won third in the Slalom racing. Tom Trotman from Sorrento Sailing and Couta Boat Club took third Overall.

    The competitors found sailing on the lakes to be a great venue as most were accustomed to more trying sailing conditions on the bay. They all said they look forward to come back again for another championship at the Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club and our beautiful lakes.

    And with our exceptional race management team multitasking, the Commodore's Memento Long Distance Race was sent out onto a course heading to Duck Arm 5 Knot buoy, to Wadi Point then back to Paynesville and to the end of Newlands Arm with Alastair finishing them at the yacht club.

    Christie

    Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:45am by Christie Arras


    Rules Corner

    Bees Knees with Gary (left) and Wild Side with Oskar Watkinson leave the rounding mark after the start in the Commodore's Memento long dista
    Bees Knees with Gary (left) and Wild Side
    with Oskar Watkinson leave the rounding
    mark after the start in the Commodore's
    Memento long dista

    As competitors we generally concerned with how our boat interacts with those around us. Spare a thought for the many volunteers that make our racing possible. I want to address a typical start as I have often heard over the years competitors complaining about not hearing their sail number over the radio when they have been OCS and applying for redress for what the OCS boat sees as a failure of the Race Officer.

    I draw attention to Rule 29.1 (individual recall)

    RECALLS
    Individual Recall

    When at a boat's starting signal any part of her hull is on the course side of the starting line or she must comply with rule 30.1. The race committee shall promptly display flag X with one sound. The flag shall be displayed until the hull of each such boat has been completely on the pre-start side of the starting line or one of its extensions, and until all such boats have complied with rule 30.1 (if it applies), but no later than four minutes after the starting signal or one minute before any later starting signal, whichever is earlier. If rule 29.2, 30.3 or 30.4 applies this rule does not.

    This says nothing about radio calls or display boards etc. The Sailing Instructions or the Race Officer's briefing MAY state that the Race Committee will endeavour to call numbers but there is no cause for redress if the RO doesn't. They are often busy, eg. starting the next class. The RO is only obliged to display flag X and make one sound signal. Not hearing the sound signal is not cause for redress.

    Regards
    Hugh

    Updated: 2 Feb 2021 10:58am by Christie Arras


    Club Merchandise 2020 - 2021

    Do you need a new item of club merchandise for the 2020-2021 season?

    Come along and check out what we have to make sure you are looking good both on and off the water this season!

    All our merchandise is very reasonably priced, and wearing it is a great way to advertise our club in the community!

    Make sure you check out our stock next time you're at the club.

    Preferred payment by direct deposit into the club bank account.

    Prices as follows:
    LS Polo Shirts (Male and female) - $40
    SS Polo Shirts (Male and female) - $35
    GLYC Waterproof Jackets - $80
    GLYC Mens Ties - $10
    GLYC Stubby Holders - $10
    GLYC Caps & Winter Beanies - $15
    GLYC Sleeveless Vests (Blue) - $55
    GLYC Burgees - $25

    Can't find your size? Or in the colour you want? Ring me, and I can place a special order for you!

    ATTENTION ALL JUNIOR SAILORS
    If you are attending an event, be it a competition or even a training session at another club, we now have available for hire-purchase the Team GLYC long sleeve shirts in sizes ranging from a Children's 8 to Adult M. These shirts are available to hire/buy from the Club for $40. If you return them in good condition, then you will receive a refund of $30. They can also be swapped for a larger size for the next season at a changeover cost of $10. Please contact Julie Clark for further details on 0408538000.

    FREE TO A GOOD BODY, RATHER, HOME
    A former member of the club, Geoff, who is no longer sailing, has kindly donated some of his old style GLYC clothing items. All are in excellent and clean condition.
    2 x Mens size M SS Navy Blue Polo Shirt
    1 x Mens size M Sleeveless Vest, Navy Blue with red fleece lining
    1 x Mens size M LS Navy Blue Jacket with red fleece lining
    Please contact Julie Clark if you can use one of these items on 0408538000.

    Julie Clark
    Merchandise Contact 0408 538 000

    Updated: 5 Jan 2021 5:24pm by Christie Arras


    Pics of GLYC sailing on GLYC Facebook page

    The lakes were well appreciated over the holidays.  Steamer Landing and a first for me: a barbie in the water!
    The lakes were well appreciated over the
    holidays. Steamer Landing and a first for
    me: a barbie in the water!

    Newer racing photos from our sailing can be seen on the Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club Facebook Members and Friends site.

    There is also a page on the club website ("Photos" under "Club Information") with older photo albums. Danuta Sowa also takes great shots and can often give you a disk with the file of your boat.

    Updated: 1 Feb 2021 12:31pm by Tim Shepperd


    Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club
    P.O. Box 194, Paynesville VIC 3880

    Club phone03 5156 6864
    Emailglyc@sailglyc.com
    Websitewww.sailglyc.com

    Flag Officers

    Committee

    CommodoreAndrew Somerville0407 156 133
    Vice CommodoreIan McDonald0419 698 900
    Rear CommodoreJim Callahan0488 500 795
    Immediate Past CommodoreWendy Gardiner0498 116 752
    SecretaryRuss Peel0408 589 805
    TreasurerTim Shepperd0400 666 486
    Sailing CaptainJames Frecheville5156 7103 / 0412 979 824
    Discover Sailing CoordinatorBrian Carroll0411 743 602
    Sailability OfficerAlan Pick0410 584 860
    General CommitteeJulie Clark0408 538 000
    General CommitteeColin Johanson03 5156 6656
    General CommitteeNorbert Hrouda0427 654 039
    General CommitteeJacqui Crawford0468 987 684
    General CommitteeNeil Smith0438 449 122
    Wanderer (not on Committee)Christie Arras [WANDERER and EFLASH]03 5156 7861
    Hall HireWendy Gardiner
    BoatsIan McDonald
    YardJim Callahan
    HouseNorbert Hrouda

    Classifieds:
    Wicked Weasel Minnow 1218 for sale

    Fibreglass Ply sandwich Hull
    Full Fibreglass thwart and centrecase
    Great proffessional 2 pack finish
    Includes:
    3 sails (radial, cross and plus cuts)
    2 fibreglass centreboards (white, green)
    6:1 Vang
    Fibreglass rudder with aluminium rudder box and tiller
    Custom carbon fibre tiller extension
    Unique Sails Hull and Deck Cover
    $4,200 ono
    Located in Paynesville. Delivery can be arranged

    Contact:
    Steve (0411 037 418) or Taj (0473 260 123)

    Contact: Taj and Steve Duff
    Phone: 0411 037 418