Specific programs are run for club juniors; Division Cool commences on Sunday mornings post Christmas and runs through the summer months. This division is a supervised program for continued learning and having fun on the water.
Aside from these programs, Juniors can sail in Twilight races (unfortunately only on trailable and keelboats, no dinghies), and in the Club’s Sunday racing program in their own yachts provided they have been deemed as competent to do so by the Sailing Captain.
In addition, during the season the Club arranges the following activities which might be of interest to junior sailors:
- Five-day Tackers programs run by Australian Sailing hosted by GLYC
- Round Raymond Island Sail in Club dinghies on Good Friday to raise money for the Royal Children’s Hospital
- Coaching by high profile sailors for those juniors entering State or National Titles
- School Team’s Sailing – a Club team is formed to compete in events generally held in March of each year
- Victorian Youth Catamaran Program – yet to be confirmed for tho season; we have high level juniors / youth visit the club for a weekend’s training providing opportunities for GLYC juniors to join in
In summary, we have a number of courses available that will help prepare Juniors for sailing on the Gippsland Lakes. Our Adult/Teen learn to sail program runs in the Spring, Summer and Autumn (during school holidays). It is a five-day course where they the Australian Sailing Start Sailing 1 syllabus is covered. Our Sunday morning Sailing School will then extend these skills and cover the Start Sailing 2 syllabus. If you have already completed these course elsewhere, we have other opportunities. Here you can either focus on enhancing your sailing confidence (with the Better Sailing group), or join our Racing and Youth Development group with sessions specifically focused for those currently or beginning to compete in club racing or attending regattas. Outside of our specific DSC courses, we have a number of opportunities to be out on the water. Skill level permitting you can participate in club racing (skippering and/or crew), social sails, destination sails, teams racing and representing GLYC at regattas. As part of our DSC program, we also offer the Powerboat Handling Course which is suitable for those 12 years and above.