Specific programs are run for Club juniors on Friday nights leading up to Christmas (Greenfleet – fee for service advanced training), and Division Cool which commences on Sunday mornings post Christmas and runs through the summer months. Focus in this supervised program is continued learning and having fun on the water.
Aside from these programs, Juniors can sail in Twilight races (but on trailable and keelboats only unfortunately, no dinghies), and in the Club’s Sunday racing program in their own yachts provided they have been deemed as competent to do so by the Sailing Captain.
In addition, during the season the Club arranges the following activities which might be of interest to junior sailors:
- 5 day Tackers programs run by Yachting Victoria and held at GLYC
- Round Raymond Island Sail in Club dinghies on Good Friday to raise money for the Royal Children’s Hospital
- the possibility of coaching by high profile sailors for those juniors entering State or National Titles
- School Team’s Sailing – a Club team is formed to compete in events generally held in March of each year
- Victorian Youth Catamaran Program – yet to be confirmed for 2016-17 but last year they brought high level juniors to GLYC for a weekend’s training and provided opportunities for GLYC juniors to join in
- The Minnow and 29er classes are holding training weekends at GLYC in the coming year, again providing GLYC juniors opportunities to participate locally in high standard events.
We have a number of courses available that will help prepare Juniors for sailing on the Gippsland Lakes. Our Adult/Teen learn to sail program runs in the Sept, Xmas and Easter School Holidays. Itâs a five day course where they will cover the Australian Sailing Start Sailing 1 syllabus. Our Sunday morning Sailing School will then extend these skills and cover the Start Sailing 2 syllabus. If they have already completed these course elsewhere, then our Friday night Green Fleet may be more appropriate. Here they can either focus on enhancing their sailing confidence (with the Better Sailing group), or join our Racing & Youth Development group with sessions specifically focused for those currently or beginning to compete in club racing or attending regattas. Outside of our specific DSC courses, we have a number of opportunities for them to be out on the water. Skill level permitting they can participate in club racing (skippering &/or crew), social sails, destination sails, teams racing and representing GLYC at regattas. As part of our DSC program, we also offer the Powerboat Handling Course which is suitable for those 12 years and above.