GLYC encourages all Gippsland schools to become involved in our Discover Sailing Program. This year we have on offer the following programs:
Primary School Learn-to-Sail Program
The Australian Sports Commission has recently announced the continuation of the Sporting Schools programme, making funding opportunities available to schools to encourage students to participate in more sports-based activities. GLYC in conjunction with Australian Sailing, is pleased to offer the Tackers program to local primary schools.
The Tackers school-sailing program is an introductory sailing course for primary aged children. Tackers is a great way to increase life skills such as communication, self-reliance, team work, problem solving and self-confidence. There are two options available; a one-off introductory session or an accredited 10hr Tackers course.
Should your school be interested in the Primary School Learn to Sail Program, please contact GLYC’s Discover Sailing Centre at email@example.com
Senior School Team Sailing
Australian Sailing conducts a number of School Teams Racing and Schools Sprint Racing Series, ideal for secondary school students who have progressed to Green Fleet racing. These include:
- John and Helen Middleton Series (Teams Racing)
- Krystal (Teams and Sprint Racing)
- Girl Sail (Teams Racing for female teams)
- Bill Bell Series (Sprint Racing)
- Open Teams Racing
- School Team Sailing Victorian Championships (Teams Racing)
GLYC is proud to support local schools or combined school teams in participating in any of the Australian Sailing School Team Sailing series. Should you have any queries or need support in entering a team, please contact our Discover Sailing Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teacher Professional Development Day
GLYC in conjunction with Australian Sailing has in the past conducted a Teacher Professional Development Day centered on the sport of sailing.
Sailing as a sport, address several areas of the current school curriculum particularly in personal development. Not only does it offer students a fun based activity on the water, it teaches them water safety and awareness, teamwork, communication skills, self-reliance and problem solving skills. The aim of our Teacher Professional Development (PD) Day is to:
- Expose teachers to the sport of sailing and the benefits it offers their students
- Offer teachers the opportunity to learn to sail on the tranquil waters off the foreshore of McMillan Straits and Lake Victoria, with the option of attaining Australian Sailing certificate in ‘Start Sailing 1’
- Present the Nationally Accredited learn to Sail Program and outline how it maps to the Victorian school curriculum
- Explore future opportunities to have a Discover Sailing program within your school curriculum
Further course details:
- Date: Dates for this season are not yet set, please contact as below
- Time: 9am to 5pm
- Content: Combination of on water practical sailing activities and off water theory
- What to bring: Clothing appropriate to the weather of the day, footwear you are happy to get wet, change of clothes, towel
- What is supplied: Training boats, life jackets, safety boat, instructors
- Cost: $ TBC per participant
To register: email your name, school and participants to GLYC Discover Sailing Centre at email@example.com .