The founder of our Club – Jack as he was known to all, convened the meeting that was held in the Orderly Room at the Sailors and Soldiers Club 75 Main Street, Bairnsdale on Tuesday 19th January 1937 with the idea of forming a Motor Boat and Yacht Club.
Twenty-four interested members of the community attended and after election of a chairperson it was moved, seconded and passed unanimously that a Boating Club be formed with the object of fostering the interests of Motor Boating and Sailing on the Gippsland Lakes.
It was then moved by Robert Simpson that the name of the Club be Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club. He was challenged by an amendment that was put to the meeting and defeated with Roberts’s motion automatically accepted.
Robert Simpson was the grandfather of that fellow Michael who gave many a good look at the transom of his old Sabre the other day.
Back to Jack, he competed from day one, his first boat was the late Jock Sturrocks 14ft Cedar Dingy “Monsoon” built for Jock by legendary Melbourne boat builder Charlie Peel of Acrospire fame and designer of the Jubilee Class adopted by Royal Brighton Yacht Club after it was wiped out by a storm in 1933.
Jack’s administrative time with the Club is documented on the first Honour Board. His Life Membership awarded to him at the A.G.M. of 1961 was very much appreciated by Jack of the honour bestowed on him. He said that though we had our trials and tribulations he still had a great deal of fun and could only see the Club facing good years ahead.
Jack and his wife Nan owned Lloyd’s Hardware Store in Main Street on the North side opposite the pedestrian crossing lights. They had two children Brian and Libby. Brian sailed very competitively at the Club winning the State Idlealong Championship in “Typhoon” in 1953. He then sailed his Venture 14 dinghy “Undine” at National and State titles and finished his sailing at G.L.Y.C. in his Flying Dutchman with George King up fwd.
Jack donated the Venture trophy for competition in the 14’s in April 1953 and it was keenly contested until their demise. It now fills another role in the Club.
Early in his Club life Jack won a trophy presented by R.S. Thomson, our first President and 2nd Commodore. He presented the trophy back to the Club after he retired from his Commodore’s position in 1948 expressing the desire that it be suitably engraved and be presented to the most improved Yachtsman of the season. The trophy to be known as the R.S. Thomson trophy to be competed for annually.
Jack’s workforce at the hardware store were also Yachties. Arthur Renowden and brother Eric being his right hand men. He was most generous with all activities at the Club, donations always frequently coming from L1oyds. Our burgee is a replica of the House of Lloyd’s – not Jacks – but Lloyd’s of London, without the crest (a little bit of trivia there).
Jack was a prime mover, all the time organising both power boat and sailing races. He was never satisfied with courses for sailing – they were never long enough.
Fond of a coldie after racing with his mates he tried for Saturday sailing to get an hour in the pub for skiting time, but was out voted by the Saturday workers, cricketers and tennis players.
I could fill a “Wanderer” writing about the things Jack and the family did for our Club. He was a tremendous man a fine citizen helpful to all in need. A guide to all young fellows’ right up there with the best of people during his time.
How proud he would have been last month when Brian’s daughter Sarah won the World Hobie 16′ Grand Masters title at Nelson Mandela’s Bay, South Africa, with her skipper Bruce Tardrew, a life member at Royal Papua Yacht Club. They also ran 3rd overall in the Masters field of 54 boats.
The JK Lloyd trophy was instigated by the Club to commemorate Jacks name – long distance because they were never long enough, those courses that they set.